Try the new

Planning Applications

When a property owner submits an application for development approval, the City of Burlington and the Towns of Halton Hills, Milton, and Oakville Planning Departments are the primary planning approval authorities.

Halton Region is the approval authority for:

  • Regional Official Plan Amendments.
  • Local Official Plan Amendments, when requested.
  • Unresolved issues, as identified by a commenting agency.

Any change to a land use or Official Plan designation will require one or more planning applications.

Land Use Planning in Ontario

The Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing's Planning and Application Resource Centre Link to External Site is your source for information on land use planning in Ontario.


You are strongly encouraged to consult with Regional and Local planning staff before making an application so that we can help you to understand the process and the various requirements.

Pre-consultation with a Halton staff member is strongly recommended before submitting a formal planning application. 

Local Planning staff, Regional Planning staff and other agency staff may be involved. A pre-consultation form will be completed to identify studies or additional materials that may be required to properly evaluate the proposal.

Contact Information

For inquiries on the status of required clearances, final processing and registration contact the local planning departments:

For inquiries on clearance of Halton Region conditions, contact Halton's Current Planning staff:

  • Call 905-825-6000
    Toll Free 1-866-4HALTON (1-866-442-5866)
    TTY 905-827-9833
    Fax 905-825-8822

top of page